TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-12 03:15:12

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

Daniel- Elton John

I thought I would give this a shot.  Let me know what you think. Any tips or comments welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/mdew-4/daniel-practice

"Knock me down, It's all in vain. I'll get right back on my feet again."  Pat Benatar

2014-12-12 03:15:12

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-12 05:03:10

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member
Re: Daniel- Elton John

MDEW

I liked it! The first minute was spot on, nice and relaxed.

However, when the higher parts started up, you lost a little of the relaxed feel. The higher notes sounded like you were trying to not go fully into your head. Maybe I'm wrong, just sounded like that to me.  Maybe you can try the higher notes in falsetto and see how it sounds - I think it would probably sound quite good.

The other thing is I'm pretty sure Elton sings the high 'Daniel (you're a star)' in falsetto and its a definite high point of the song. With an iconic song like this, the listener will be expecting to hear this type of 'hook.' IMO.

#3 2014-12-12 12:38:20

Gneetapp
TMV Forum Member

Hey MDEW, good job! I have to slightly disagree with Bzean123 regarding the first part of the song. I give you that you sounded relaxed in the beginning, but maybe too relaxed and off-pitch in very few spots. However, after the first chorus I felt like you owned the song, and there were no more off-pitch spots, and your tone improved. The highest part of the chorus ("Daniel your a star") felt weak IMO. But I understand that those are still challenging notes for you, and you didn't want to shout. So, you just need to find your way through that area. Keep rocking man! :cool:

#4 2014-12-12 15:24:45

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

Thanks Guys, I always choke at that blasted High note. :P  Elton does use falsetto through that whole line "Daniel your a " then back to a solid note on STAR. I would always lose that note for "Star" by doing that.
    "in the face of the sky" gives me trouble too.  I thought about changing "He's ever been" also.   That "EVER" in there always sucks when I sing it. I tried "That-He's ever seen" and sing the "That" extended instead of on "Ever"
     It sucked worse. :/    BUT it was Fun. :)

Last edited by MDEW (2014-12-12 15:26:24)

"Knock me down, It's all in vain. I'll get right back on my feet again."  Pat Benatar

#5 2014-12-12 17:55:55

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member

I gave Daniel a whirl just now and that phrase is hard. So don't feel bad. But I still think matching Elton's falsetto is the way to go, just keep at it.

#6 2014-12-12 18:37:48

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

I kind of have middle ground listening between Bzean123 and Gneetapp when I hear this one.  It's like they're both right. In the beginning there's this intimacy that really fits this song, but maintaining that kind of intimate tone imo is really technically challenging, so your pitch was looser.

I'm not sure if I've ever interpreted this song correctly (I take subjective readings of what songs mean to me), but it always sounded like Daniel died in a plane crash in his favorite place in the world (Spain) and the singer was emoting about how he would forever exist there, the stars shining forever over the place he loved. It's a really intimate and vulnerable sound to me.

Your pitch improves on the latter half, and I'd say your performance solidifies on a technical level, but I'm still a bit partial to that intimacy that was present in the first half. I feel like if both could be combined it might improve. Easier said than done. It's really hard song, man. I remember back before I got my health problems, I used to bomb on this song time and time again. It was on my 'bomb' list. Never stopped me from trying, but you did pretty good.

Hearing you sing it makes me want to learn it again and give it a whirl, so there must be something fresh in your performance.

#7 2014-12-12 19:46:56

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

KillerKu wrote:

I kind of have middle ground listening between Bzean123 and Gneetapp when I hear this one.  It's like they're both right. In the beginning there's this intimacy that really fits this song, but maintaining that kind of intimate tone imo is really technically challenging, so your pitch was looser.

I'm not sure if I've ever interpreted this song correctly (I take subjective readings of what songs mean to me), but it always sounded like Daniel died in a plane crash in his favorite place in the world (Spain) and the singer was emoting about how he would forever exist there, the stars shining forever over the place he loved. It's a really intimate and vulnerable sound to me.

Your pitch improves on the latter half, and I'd say your performance solidifies on a technical level, but I'm still a bit partial to that intimacy that was present in the first half. I feel like if both could be combined it might improve. Easier said than done. It's really hard song, man. I remember back before I got my health problems, I used to bomb on this song time and time again. It was on my 'bomb' list. Never stopped me from trying, but you did pretty good.

Hearing you sing it makes me want to learn it again and give it a whirl, so there must be something fresh in your performance.

Technical problems, Recording and personal, kind of take away the intimacy. 
     I have always thought of my older brother when singing this. He passed in 96. His name is not Daniel and he has never been to spain but the leaving and not really being sure if you will see him again has always fit.
     I was in a band with him in the late 70's early to mid 80's.
    This was mainly from memory and a quick recording. I did listen to it once while in the middle of recording just to refresh my memory.
    Thanks for the comments, I may even get a chance to rerecord tonight.

#8 2014-12-13 01:32:36

ronws
TMV Forum Member

You did pretty good. A few pitchy spots and I agree with others, that would be fixed by using falsetto, which is allowable in this song.

Also, make Dan-y-uh-l to be Dan-y-eh-l on the longer pronunciation of the name. As Debra Lynn, the acclaimed american opera singer said in her book, the american english is full of dipthongs and messed up vowels. Chief among them is the uh sound. It pulls us off pitch.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#9 2014-12-13 02:39:45

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

I tried to work on it some more. I think I am now in overkill. :P Too much work on the same song. It is getting worse. :o
   Thanks Ronws. Elton sings Dan-y-eh-l also.

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer