TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-09 20:37:25

bono1982
TMV Forum Member

James Ingram - Just Once

Hey guys, I`m working out my first bridge.. please let me know what do you think! thanks :)

https://app.box.com/s/mcx63gvuuve2gnh6esm8

check out to my souncloud page! :) 
https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-1

2014-12-09 20:37:25

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-12 19:16:04

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member
Re: James Ingram - Just Once

I hadn't heard the original. I don't know if it's the backing track's cavernous drum sound, or the timbre of the piano, but my first impression was if you were around in the 80s you might have gotten rich. I was getting like kind of an REO Speedwagon, Air Supply power ballad vibe.

I listened to the original and it was a bit more of a soulish tune. So I'm gonna try to separate just your voice from the track, if that's not what you're going for. Your pitch and vibrato were really well put together. Do I detect a bit of a non USA kind of accent? It gives the song a unique flavor and if so, it's my belief that people shouldn't lose their cultural heritage (especially their personal history that defines themselves as artists), but you can always play around with vowels. Get different shapes, tones, colors.

If you wanted to get a bit closer to the original singer, there are a few vowels that might help you get closer to this sound. I'd say a hint of a twangy kind of 'errrr' and 'ohr' 'uhr.'  Not like a pirate: ARRRRRRR matey. That would be wayyy too much. It's a subtle thing and I can already hear subtlety and nuance to your performance so you'd probably get it.

Personally, I could never really 'feel' or 'develop' a twang all that well until I heard Al Green and looked his grinning face. I'd heard singers talk about twang but it always sounded like 'metallic' or cold, or honky tonk. Those things are cool, but I know they have nothing to do with my identity.

So after seeing this performance here of Al Green on "Soul School," I heard this absolutely jubilant, exhilarating, careening, freewheeling, borderline drunken sound, outpouring emotion, and I was twanging the next day and didn't even know it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKToz7BLLA

Anyway, back on topic. I've been re listening to you on repeat as I was typing this and I wanted to really praise how you handled the 'climax' of this song. Sometimes 'building up to a moment' can sound cheesy or calculated, like 'hey this is a trick that will win over the audience! Let's execute the high note!' But the way you handled the subtle emotions, and built into those soaring notes, it really resonated with me and it didn't feel like a calculated ploy and it felt like you were along for the ride. I could feel an emotional release and some 'soul.' Keep working on it, find your identity man.

Last edited by KillerKu (2014-12-12 19:19:21)

#3 2014-12-13 01:58:31

ronws
TMV Forum Member

I liked it. Consonants are good. The difference in accent is most noticable in how you pronounce the er in were. Americans are little more oo-r and other languages are a little more eh-r.

Americans pronounce it as ih-t, which is a hard sound to describe as it is a tortured and mishappen vowel sound. Other languages would pronounce it as ee-t, which should be more correct, anyway.

The difference is also in the lips. I have noticed that some other languages, the people speak with more closed or pursed lips. Whereas, americans bare their teeth like gibbons.

"When the daylight is rising up in my eyes ..." - Klaus Meine

#4 2014-12-13 02:33:32

Bzean123
TMV Forum Member

Bono1982: Nice work! I haven't heard the original recently, but I recall those vocals cutting through a little bit more than yours do. Your tone is a little bit softer & that's cool as well.

Ron: I'll have you know that gibbons are people too :-)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer