TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-08 12:51:27

Khassera
TMV Forum Member
Ee sound

Question:

I'm doing scales (sirens to demonstrate in this case) on Ee.

The first siren is (i feel) pulling chest, and it feels harder, and I'm making a conscious effort to modify the vowel.

The second siren is whatever. I feel it's more "buzzy" and it's much easier to do, everything below my chin is relaxed and I make no effort to modify the vowel.

Which way is "correct," or is it just a matter of preference?

https://soundcloud.com/iiro-rantahalvari/ee-1

Or am I just off completely?

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

2014-12-08 12:51:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-08 13:26:14

geno
TMV Forum Member

Re: Ee sound

The tone was good in both.  Because "ee" has a really low first formant, you don't really have to modify it.  The main thing is to keep the muscles beneath the chin relaxed, so the second one is what you want, and you can hear that it was more free.  For whatever reason it is easy to activate the constrictors with an "ee".

#3 2014-12-08 14:14:02

Khassera
TMV Forum Member

geno wrote:

The tone was good in both.  Because "ee" has a really low first formant, you don't really have to modify it.  The main thing is to keep the muscles beneath the chin relaxed, so the second one is what you want, and you can hear that it was more free.  For whatever reason it is easy to activate the constrictors with an "ee".

Thanks Geno.

I feel the second one is more free, but I'm not sure if there's too much of a "hee" kinda witchyness to it. It feels a lot like "Ng," or having an H in it.

"'Means are many' said the hag as she wiped the table with a cat."

#4 2014-12-09 00:34:29

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

i don't consciously modify the "ee" but i like to "think in" a little "ih" as in "eight" and get a little height as i ascend. i feel when i do that i get i get a release into the upper range more easily.

"ee" is one of my favorite vowels to sing because they sound great when they're dead on.

#5 2014-12-09 02:00:53

Steven Fraser
Charter Member of TMV Voice Council

also, you were having more fun... Just tossing it off...
2nd one much smoother and more consistent.

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer