TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-12-02 09:01:54

Analysa
TMV Forum Member
Singing brighter when singing lower?

I am considered a mezzo soprano and I have a range spanning from a Bb2 to an A6. When I sing anything past an E4 (just above middle C), whether I'm belting or in my head voice, my tone is a nice balance between warm and bright. The problem is, when I sing in my lower register, I sound dull and almost flat. I don't find singing low hard, unnatural, or uncomfortable. It's just that when I listen to a recording of myself, my middle & upper notes always sound like that perfect combination between bright, warm, and full; while my lows sound extremely dark, dull, and further back in my throat almost. What can I do to brighten my lower notes so I don't sound like I'm under pitch, bored, and dull? I want my lower parts to sound just as energized and effortless as everything else

Last edited by Analysa (2014-12-02 09:03:24)

2014-12-02 09:01:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-02 09:12:00

Danielformica
TMV Forum Member
Website

Re: Singing brighter when singing lower?

Practice a lot of descending scales in your low range on the vowel A(as in cat) staccato then legato you will eventually get a brighter less dull sound.  Good luck

DANIEL
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formica

Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME.  They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

#3 2014-12-03 02:27:05

Analysa
TMV Forum Member

Thank you so much Daniel! I'll try back in a couple weeks, let you know how things are going!

#4 2014-12-04 09:35:55

Steven Fraser
Charter Member of TMV Voice Council

Analysa wrote:

I am considered a mezzo soprano and I have a range spanning from a Bb2 to an A6. When I sing anything past an E4 (just above middle C), whether I'm belting or in my head voice, my tone is a nice balance between warm and bright. The problem is, when I sing in my lower register, I sound dull and almost flat. I don't find singing low hard, unnatural, or uncomfortable. It's just that when I listen to a recording of myself, my middle & upper notes always sound like that perfect combination between bright, warm, and full; while my lows sound extremely dark, dull, and further back in my throat almost. What can I do to brighten my lower notes so I don't sound like I'm under pitch, bored, and dull? I want my lower parts to sound just as energized and effortless as everything else

Hi, Analysa.

Could you post a clip?

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

#5 2014-12-04 20:34:13

Steven Fraser
Charter Member of TMV Voice Council

Hi,

Basses have that same issue, as the resonances of the vowel will align with harmonics progressively higher in the series as the fundamental descends.  Speaking as a lyric Bass, here is what we do on the way down the scale:

1) maintain twang/singers formant, depending on genre.
2) resist the temptation to over-drop the jaw.  That raises F1 and F2. We want to align them with the specific harmonics to get the warmth and ring... And as you go lower, all the harmonics have less strength, so the resonance becomes progressively more critical.
3) make sure that support is adjusted to not over-Or-under blow the laryngeal balance.  Remember, for lower notes, the vocal bands are shortening and thickening on the downward scale.
4) if you use a mic, eat it for the lower notes.  The proximity effect will add warmth for you, and more of the soun you produce will be picked up.

I hope this is helpful.

Best Regards,

Steven Fraser

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer