TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-11-28 03:34:40

SophiaGrayce
TMV Forum Member

Take Me To Church - Please Critique

Hi Guys, I recorded this yesterday and would like some feedback on the performance and vocals;)

Sophia Grayce

2014-11-28 03:34:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-11-28 16:51:20

bono1982
TMV Forum Member

Re: Take Me To Church - Please Critique

I really like this song and Hozier who think is a great singer-songwriter!! also very enjoyed your rendition!! ;)

check out to my souncloud page! :) 
https://soundcloud.com/matias-azar-1

#3 2014-11-28 20:20:38

Clint Torres
TMV Forum Member

That was really good. I'm not familiar with the song but you did a great job. My only standout point was the first "Amen's".  Around 49 seconds in the words amen were a little bit too hard to me. By hard, I mean the A was too hard and I felt it should have been softer. Maybe more of a breathyness to it or an "H" sound to soften the hard A.   The second time around toward the end of the song the amen's were better.
A minor point and one I'm sure an audience wouldn't notice or even care about.  Just something a singer might consider to be even better!

Nice:)

#4 2014-11-30 17:38:36

SophiaGrayce
TMV Forum Member

Thank you both for the feedback, I'll keep what Clint said in mind about softening the Amens. The song has some pretty low notes and I received some feedback that I didn't hit them very well. I would like to hear from some of you about what you think.

#5 2014-11-30 18:09:52

Clint Torres
TMV Forum Member

The trouble with low notes is that most people focus so much on hitting high notes they neglect practicing in the opposite direction. This too needs strengthening. You have to strengthen the voice to go low just as much as going high. For me I find some low notes require a lot of support so as not to become breathy while other low notes need less attention and and I focus on them as if I were speaking rather than singing. Just remaining chesty. In this song it may be a support issue. There does seem to be a big jump between the beginning of your cover and the rest of the song. You may need to balance it out somehow artistically while also adding more support.

#6 2014-12-07 20:53:49

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

My favorite things about your voice are the dynamics in your timbre/volume and the variety of push/pull in your phrasings. I'd never listened to the original, but I checked it out and actually prefer your timbre as it sounds more dynamic to me, and I'm a sucker for this kind of singing (Amy Winehouse fan!).

For people saying your low notes need more power, but I'm not sure that is correct. From the sounds of this song one of the core emotions expressed in it is vulnerability and the slight weakness adds to it in my opinion. Loud, buff strength is such a small fragment of the human experience, psychologically, artistically, emotionally, socially. People falter, that's how life is and that's what makes human beings relate-able and not thick and loud noise making robots. I'd probably get less out of it if you stripped any hint of weakness from the track.

Last edited by KillerKu (2014-12-07 20:55:19)

#7 2014-12-09 01:37:26

SophiaGrayce
TMV Forum Member

Thank You KillerKu, I love singing songs like this where I can "get into" the song. I never use auto tune on any of my songs, my vocal coach tells me that I sing 100% percent in tune but if I focus too much on making the song "perfect" it sometimes it seems a bit empty and sterile. Thanks again for the critique, I really feel like you get what I'm trying to do. ~Sophia  Grayce~

#8 2014-12-09 04:32:14

KillerKu
TMV Forum Member

Yeah, I've been known to miss a note or ten from time to time, but I can tell your pitch is really accurate. I'm really sensitive to auto tune, and it doesn't sound that way at all. It's a different kind of precision. I've had songs and singers I would otherwise love have their songs warbled out, even with subtle auto tuning others can't hear to the point where I lose interest.

Very accurate pitching can be really expressive especially when tied into the emotions of a singer. To me it's like a painter with a finer, tighter brush stroke on the canvas.  They will have the ability to create a more finer intricate, precise design, while others will have looser brush strokes, and others will be scribbling with crayons.

I don't know if I'm the only one who has ever watched Mick Jones live back in the Clash, with this earnest, almost geeky, hyper sincere look on his face, yelling out passionately and missing who knows how many notes... And finding value in that. That said, I'm glad he took a few more takes on the London calling album. Some have implied I like singers like him cause I suck, cause I suck, but as I improved, the only thing I've found is I love singing more.

I don't think you're that different. I hear little catches in your voice. Certain vowels will suddenly change timbre in an admittedly precise way, but I don't think anyone is crafty enough to calculate of these subtleties. I believe it's too much to consciously think about at the same time and your subconscious is forced to take over. Maybe when people just hold one tone. One timbre. Identical vowel shades. Maybe people can compute that stuff. 

But my theory is there's a metaphorical little Mick Jones type character still in you with a very tiny paint brush painting outside the lines, still tugging at your voice. The brush isn't big enough to paint you out of key or even out of tune, but instead manifests in other ways, tugging at your timbre, brightens or darkens a vowel, adds a little more bite than intended to a syllable, softens that low note, gives you a little catch in air flow, and whispers in your ear subconscious desire of what to do, even if it ain't proper.

Or maybe you're just that good at fooling me. :D

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer