TMV Partners

You are not logged in.

Announcement

GO HERE: www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

ATTENTION TMV WORLD FORUM MEMBERS! YOU NEED TO GO LOGIN AND/OR REGISTER AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED TMV WORLD FORUM SYSTEM.

CLICK THIS LINK TO GO TO THE NEW FORUM. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE NEW FORUM, LOGIN OR REGISTER AND THEN CLICK ON "GETTING STARTED". ALL OF THE POSTS AND TOPICS HAVE BEEN MIGRATED OVER AND EXISTING MEMBERS WILL BE LINKED BACK TO ALL THEIR POSTS IN THE NEW SYSTEM AFTER YOU LOGIN.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

IF YOU ARE A NEW VISITOR THAT JUST JOINED US, YOU ARE INVITED TO COME OVER TO OUR NEW FORUM SYSTEM. CLICK THIS LINK TO GO THERE AND REGISTER.

www.TheModernVocalistWorld.com

Adverts

#1 2014-11-21 16:46:17

Aelpee
TMV Forum Member
Correct tongue position

Hey all! Like the title says I've been wondering alot about the correct positioning of the tongue for singing. It seems some teachers like the Tamplin guy (and even my teacher) want to have the tongue on the bottom of the mouth and kinda flat so the space in the back of the throat looks really big.
But then there are other teachers like the CVT teacher I had earlier that want the tongue in the kind of "ng" position so that the back part of the tongue kinda touches the upper teeth in the back and the front is behind the lower front teeth.

Now I'm just wondering what's the main goal we're trying to achieve with the tongue while singing? Is it just to articulate while getting the back of the tongue out of the throat as much as possible? Or should I just let it lie still in the bottom of the mouth? Such a small thing but it's getting annoying, I've actually been doing my scales with the tongue totally out of the mouth since I can't seem to find a "good" spot for it in the mouth. This solution doesn't work at all while singing of course. :P

2014-11-21 16:46:17

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-11-21 18:01:12

Jens
TMV Forum Member

Re: Correct tongue position

Depends on what type of sound you want. Diffrent tonguepositions aid diffrent soundcolors, also training diffrent positions might also help With tension in the tongue ect

#3 2014-11-21 18:12:45

VIDEOHERE
Administrator

generally, for singing, get in the habit of parking it with the tip resting behind the lower front teeth. although it needs to move from that spot to pronounce some lyrics, develop a habit of returning back to there when you're able.

the tongue will rise to some degree depending on the vowel. don't try to do anything to lower it, for example when singing an "ee."

run through the 5 basic basic vowels while looking in the mirror and observe what the tongue does in response to those throat shapes (vowels).

start with "oo" "ee" "eh" "oh" and "ah." then jumble the sequence.  just play around and begin to sense how the tongue moves with the closed vowels vs. the open vowels.

do not try to actively control the tongue. let it go where it needs to go.

i made that mistake years ago.

#4 2014-11-21 20:05:35

MDEW
TMV Forum Member

Add Jens and Videohere's suggestions together... The tongue position and shape are tied with TONE and VOWEL.
Do not concentrate on the tongue but on the TONE and Vowel to get proper placement of the tongue. Otherwise remove tension of the tongue.

"Knock me down, It's all in vain. I'll get right back on my feet again."  Pat Benatar

#5 2014-11-21 20:44:03

FelipeCarvalho
TMV Forum Member
Website

Lowering the tongue flat on the mouth may look like it creates a lot of space, but doing so occupies space on the pharynx bellow the mouth level and will prevent proper elevation of the larynx on the higher notes.

As you go high, allow it to elevate and let your vowels change towards mid, mid high or high vowels.

#6 2014-11-24 04:47:49

RowboCaup
TMV Forum Member

#7 2014-11-24 07:33:32

Aelpee
TMV Forum Member

Thanks everybody! I like the "natural" approach of just letting the tongue move with the vowels. Just one more question. Is this "natural tongue" approach valid in the passagio zone when the "vowel mods" start to come in to play? In the past I've just tried to keep my my soft palate raised and modify my throat shape but haven't been able to find the "pocket" as some of you call it in the passagio. I'm thinking now that by just keeping the tongue flat while modifying the vowel I've been trying to do two things at once that work against each other?

Last edited by Aelpee (2014-11-24 07:34:55)

#8 2014-11-25 02:51:58

Owen Korzec
TMV Forum Member
Website

Aelpee wrote:

Thanks everybody! I like the "natural" approach of just letting the tongue move with the vowels. Just one more question. Is this "natural tongue" approach valid in the passagio zone when the "vowel mods" start to come in to play? In the past I've just tried to keep my my soft palate raised and modify my throat shape but haven't been able to find the "pocket" as some of you call it in the passagio. I'm thinking now that by just keeping the tongue flat while modifying the vowel I've been trying to do two things at once that work against each other?

To put it simply, it's really complicated :lol:

The whole tongue position thing IS vowel mods (part of it) and requires loads of fine tuning, a lot of it based on sound, not just where the tongue seems to be visually.

Just leaving the tongue position where it is when you pronounce normally, will not work for vowel mods at all.

Last edited by Owen Korzec (2014-11-25 02:52:38)

OTHER TMV WEB SITES: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS: TMV RECOMMENDS:

Adverts

Board footer